#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by infapi00 at 14:05:13 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress towards 3.16.1 and 3.17 (infapi00, 14:06:03)
  2. Progress towards 3.16.1 and 3.17 (infapi00, 14:06:28)
    1. bug 746670 is still open (infapi00, 14:06:47)
    2. although is assigned (something not really usual on gnome bugs), last update was on Mar 30 (infapi00, 14:07:09)
    3. so not sure if getting it solved for 3.16.1 can be given as granted (infapi00, 14:07:24)
    4. probably it would be good a gentle ping, or at least asking if they think that targetting 3.16.1 is still viable (infapi00, 14:07:53)
    5. Joanie just commented on the bug to see if we're aiming for 3.16.1. (joanie, 14:13:05)
    6. joanie has been debating with gtk+ developers for a solution for bug 746706 (infapi00, 14:14:26)
    7. Benjamin thinks the "blame" belongs to the ATK bridge. (joanie, 14:15:11)
    8. Joanie disagrees, but doesn't much care whom we blame as long as the floods stop. (joanie, 14:15:28)
    9. Joanie provided a new patch last night which Benjamin said he'd commit today, after making a comment in the commit about it being the bridge's fault. ;) (joanie, 14:16:02)
    10. Joanie is tentatively ready to celebrate, but Benjamin had said something similar about her last patch which he never committed. So we probably should watch this bug. (joanie, 14:16:37)
    11. Juanjo just opened a bug report (bug 747563) about the lack of keyboard-navigation in gnome-builder (jjmarin, 14:17:19)
    12. ACTION: Juanjo will ping in the the a11y-devel about the keyboard-navigation thread (jjmarin, 14:23:58)
    13. as we are at the beginning of the 3.17 cycle, it would be good to start to think what we want to include on it (infapi00, 14:25:19)
    14. probably reusing our plans for 3.16, focusing on what we were not able to include on 3.16 (infapi00, 14:25:52)

  3. w3c updates (infapi00, 14:26:13)
    1. Joanie has worked on the spec for the new @aria-placeholder attribute. (clown, 14:27:23)
    2. The proposed text is here: https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-1349/aria/aria.html#aria-placeholder (clown, 14:27:41)
    3. I *think* that text is more or less final, and will be approved at today's meeting. (clown, 14:28:04)
    4. The next step is going to be how to represent placeholder in accessibility APIs. (clown, 14:32:24)
    5. There are two camps. (clown, 14:32:36)
    6. I have recommended that there be a new "placeholder" property on accessible objects: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Apr/0039.html (clown, 14:33:05)
    7. The other camp says that if there is no attribute that qualifies as a label, then the placeholder text should be put in the the "name" property of the accessible object. (clown, 14:33:58)
    8. I think that's a mistake, even if there is no label text, since the AT has no way of knowing that the "name" text is actual "placeholder" text, in that specific case. (clown, 14:34:51)
    9. The AT should decide whether to present placeholder text as a label, in that case, not the browser. (clown, 14:35:24)
    10. https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Apr/0044.html (joanie, 14:36:40)
    11. Note that AX API has an actual AXPlaceHolderValue property. (clown, 14:37:52)

  4. Marketing (infapi00, 14:46:09)
    1. Juanjo updated gnome-a11y entries in the wikipedia (ATK, AT-SPI and Orca) in English and Spanish with the version and release dates and very small fixes (jjmarin, 14:46:34)

  5. Miscellaneous (infapi00, 14:48:25)
    1. Just 30 minutes before meeting (infapi00, 14:48:42)
    2. this mail: (infapi00, 14:48:47)
    3. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-accessibility-list/2015-April/msg00002.html (infapi00, 14:48:51)
    4. was sent to the list (infapi00, 14:48:56)
    5. summary: GUADEC 2015 organizers are touching us (infapi00, 14:49:11)
    6. because they want a bigger showcase for a11y on this year GUADEC (infapi00, 14:49:27)
    7. something that it is good (instead of us knocking doors to get attention) (infapi00, 14:49:54)
    8. he also hinted how relevant is a11y on Sweden, (infapi00, 14:50:11)
    9. I also understand that he is implicitly suggesting the involvement from Sweden organizations (infapi00, 14:50:40)
    10. ACTION: infapi00 will answer GUADEC email with a conservative answer, to avoid oliver feeling ignored (infapi00, 15:02:45)


Meeting ended at 15:02:53 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. Juanjo will ping in the the a11y-devel about the keyboard-navigation thread
  2. infapi00 will answer GUADEC email with a conservative answer, to avoid oliver feeling ignored


Action items, by person

  1. infapi00
    1. infapi00 will answer GUADEC email with a conservative answer, to avoid oliver feeling ignored


People present (lines said)

  1. infapi00 (110)
  2. joanie (78)
  3. clown (35)
  4. jjmarin (20)
  5. Services (5)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.