#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by infapi00 at 14:06:06 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress toward 3.16 (infapi00, 14:06:33)
    1. 3.16 is here (infapi00, 14:06:37)
    2. only one problematic issue (so far); (infapi00, 14:07:13)
    3. bug 746670 (infapi00, 14:07:30)
    4. that prevents gnome-shell to accessible under wayland (infapi00, 14:07:47)
    5. so instead of the expected "accessible but with regressions" it was a "non accessible at all" (infapi00, 14:08:06)
    6. joanie triagged the bug and pointed the problem (infapi00, 14:08:30)
    7. gnome-shell+mutter developers working on the solution (infapi00, 14:08:40)
    8. mclasen marked it as 3.16, so we can assume that they plan to include the solution on 3.16.1, scheduled next April 13 (infapi00, 14:09:11)
    9. Joanie has been digging into some reported-by-users sluggishness in Orca. (joanie, 14:10:04)
    10. It was the result of removing some sad hacks. (joanie, 14:10:14)
    11. The removal, in favor of using pyatspi utility methods, is triggering event floods from Gtk+. Especially with, though she doesn't think limited to, GtkCellAccessible. (joanie, 14:10:59)
    12. There is some debate with Benjamin about whose job it is to filter this stuff out, i.e. should GtkCellAccessible not emit changed signals for object creation? (This is what Joanie thinks.) (joanie, 14:11:40)
    13. Alternatively, should the AT-SPI2 ATK bridge stop them from being emitted (which seems to be what Benjamin thinks). (joanie, 14:12:09)
    14. The "fun fact" is that Joanie found the commit to GtkCellAccessible in which stopping emission of signals upon creation was deliberately removed. This was back in 2011, she thinks. (joanie, 14:12:58)
    15. And *that*, Joanie thinks, is why we were seeing the crazy-slow Rhythmbox issues. (Because Caribou was listening for events.) (joanie, 14:13:27)
    16. Joanie is working on patches and negotiation with Benjamin. (joanie, 14:13:39)
    17. A 3.17 progress issue should include emitting object:state-changed:focused events instead of focus: events. Lots of Gtk+ bugs there. Joanie thinks she may be able to fix them herself and plans to try. (joanie, 14:14:16)
    18. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=746706 (joanie, 14:24:33)
    19. Perhaps it's worth our having a chat with Benjamin about whose job it is to stop these floods, and when event emission should occur. (joanie, 14:26:47)
    20. ACTION: infapi00 will read the bug and add a comment on the bug, hoping to start a debate that lead with a solution of the problem, being on gtk or at-spi2-atk (infapi00, 14:28:52)

  2. wec updates (infapi00, 14:30:59)
  3. w3c updates (infapi00, 14:31:02)
    1. The AAPI group have been working on the proper mapping of role="rowgroup" for the past month or so. (clown, 14:32:25)
    2. The current mappings are here, http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#role-map-rowgroup (clown, 14:33:09)
    3. The group's current feeling is to change it to something like the following: (clown, 14:33:30)
    4. "Regarding an element with role="rowgroup": if it is focusable (has a tabindex attribute) or it has an ARIA global attribute, it must have an accessible in AAPIs, otherwise it will not be mapped." (clown, 14:33:56)
    5. The only holdout is FireFox, who want to map it whenever it appears. Their technique is, "if the element has a 'role' attribute, then an accessible is created" (clown, 14:35:08)
    6. The only exceptions they have is for role="presentation" or role="none". (clown, 14:35:38)
    7. Their argument is that this is done for performance reasons: things run faster is they don't have to check for "rowgroup". (clown, 14:36:05)
    8. The goal is common mappings across browser and platforms. We don't want FF to map it, but WebKitGTK doesn not, nor do we want it mapping under ATK, but not under UIA (for example). (clown, 14:41:09)

  4. Marketing (infapi00, 14:43:13)
    1. GNOME 3.16 was released, this time without mentions to any a11y stuff (I was late when I asked the inclusion of the new high contrast theme :/ ) (jjmarin, 14:43:27)
    2. The a11y annual report was delivered for review (jjmarin, 14:43:42)
    3. ACTION: Juanjo will update the release version and date in the articles of the wikipedia (jjmarin, 14:43:53)
    4. http://jimmac.musichall.cz/blog/2015-03-24-high-contrast-refresh/ (jjmarin, 14:45:38)
    5. https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/AnnualReport/2014/A11yReport (jjmarin, 14:49:19)

  5. Miscellaneous time (infapi00, 14:52:05)


Meeting ended at 15:01:11 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. infapi00 will read the bug and add a comment on the bug, hoping to start a debate that lead with a solution of the problem, being on gtk or at-spi2-atk
  2. Juanjo will update the release version and date in the articles of the wikipedia


Action items, by person

  1. infapi00
    1. infapi00 will read the bug and add a comment on the bug, hoping to start a debate that lead with a solution of the problem, being on gtk or at-spi2-atk


People present (lines said)

  1. infapi00 (82)
  2. joanie (81)
  3. clown (37)
  4. jjmarin (20)
  5. Services (4)
  6. mgorse (1)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.