#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by infapi00 at 15:07:46 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress towards 3.16 (infapi00, 15:07:53)
    1. infapi00 still has in his TODO list the GDM bug and the event reordering bugs for gnome-shell (infapi00, 15:08:31)
    2. infapi00 added a comment ping on bug 729603, without no response (that bug has a patch) (infapi00, 15:08:59)
    3. during this week I will try to ping them on IRC (infapi00, 15:09:16)
    4. there is also a discussion about bugzilla products, but that is not exactly "progress towards 3.16". I will raise that point on misc time (infapi00, 15:10:01)
    5. Joanie is still working on the generic-izing of Orca's support for Web content, fixing many bugs in the process and improving performance. (joanie, 15:10:40)
    6. She is not sure if that will be done in time to have an Orca-controlled caret for WebKitGtk by 3.16, but she'll try. (joanie, 15:11:03)
    7. Failing that, we can still "advertise" the improvements for Firefox support. (joanie, 15:11:24)
    8. Mike has a new patch for Evolution (which she will let him discuss). But at some point we should probably decide what the meaning of AtkValue is, and what sorts of things it does and does not apply to (which is also related to some W3C stuff). (joanie, 15:12:13)
    9. mgorse proposed a revised patch for the status column in evolution, that exposes the value of the underlying enum via AtkValue, although it is a bit of a hack and might not be the best way to do it. An alternate hack, that Joanie proposed, would be to have the "read" icon have no name, so that orca doesn't read anything (mgorse, 15:18:41)
    10. ACTION: infapi00 will take a look to the evolution bug, see both solutions, and at least, give an opinion (infapi00, 15:20:59)
    11. Evolution bug raised some concerns about AtkValue and when/how apply it, that will be discussed on the following days (infapi00, 15:32:52)

  2. Bugzilla products (infapi00, 15:33:15)
    1. Recently bugzilla got updated, and somehow it led to bugzilla maintainers to realize an (somewhat) old bug about how a11y components are distributed, products-sake (infapi00, 15:33:56)
    2. bug 740075 (infapi00, 15:34:08)
    3. In short, the problem is that right now on bugzilla there is a product "at-spi" (infapi00, 15:34:30)
    4. and bugs for pyatspi2, at-spi2-core, at-spi2-atk and java-atk-wrapper are included there, making everything somewhat messy (infapi00, 15:34:59)
    5. it was asked to split on products (infapi00, 15:35:11)
    6. recently andre kappler mentioned that a good general rule is that git repository == bugzilla product (infapi00, 15:35:36)
    7. just after magpie and infapi00 agreed that it was a good approach (and that in fact, it was exactly what asked) (infapi00, 15:36:03)
    8. akappler mentioned that there is a product on freedesktop bugzilla for at-spi2-core/at-spi2-atk, and suggested that it would be a good idea to use just one (infapi00, 15:36:40)
    9. infapi00 and joanie mentioned that it would be better to use gnome one (as is the one active) and close the other (infapi00, 15:36:56)
    10. magpie seems to suggest the same, but not sure (infapi00, 15:37:03)
    11. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89106 (joanie, 15:40:25)

  3. W�C updates (infapi00, 15:48:55)
  4. W3C updates (infapi00, 15:48:58)
    1. Last week's call dealt with @aria-describedat (clown, 15:49:32)
    2. Representatives from the e-publishing vendors were present. (clown, 15:49:32)
    3. They want aria-describedat as a mechanism for having additional information about a subject, but not having that information interfere with the current page layout. (clown, 15:49:32)
    4. aria-describedat is an URL to reference the external information. (clown, 15:49:33)
    5. Main objection from browser vendors is that aria-described should not alter main user interface. (clown, 15:49:33)
    6. James Craig commented that this appears to be "a solution in search of a problem", and pointed to other ways to accomplish the same thing: http://cookiecrook.com/longdesc/ (clown, 15:49:34)
    7. Although not resolved, it was generally felt the attribute would be useful, but it shouldn't affect primary UI. (clown, 15:49:37)
    8. The discussion continues; there is still an issue about "discoverability". (clown, 15:49:40)
    9. Minutes of the meeting: http://www.w3.org/2015/02/05-aria-minutes.html#item01 (clown, 15:49:42)
    10. aria-describedat in the spec: http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#aria-describedat (clown, 15:49:44)
    11. As a result of the discussion around aria-describedat, the ARIA documents are being searched to remove any suggetions regarding ARIA affecting main stream UI. (clown, 15:57:28)
    12. part of the attraction is that aria-describedat is language neutral and can be used in any language. (clown, 16:01:11)
    13. wheras, describedat would have to be introduced to each language (html, svg, etc) separately. (clown, 16:01:40)
    14. which was a problem that XML solved — mix and match language features — but it has fallen out of favour. (clown, 16:02:44)
    15. There is a section in the wiki for adding info for the release notes https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointFifteen/ReleaseNote (jjmarin, 16:03:53)
    16. ACTION: Juanjo will add some notes with items he thinks he can mention in the article for the annual report https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/AnnualReport/2014 and he will ask for opinions, corrections, love, rage and/or addtions (jjmarin, 16:05:29)


Meeting ended at 16:07:03 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. infapi00 will take a look to the evolution bug, see both solutions, and at least, give an opinion
  2. Juanjo will add some notes with items he thinks he can mention in the article for the annual report https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/AnnualReport/2014 and he will ask for opinions, corrections, love, rage and/or addtions


Action items, by person

  1. infapi00
    1. infapi00 will take a look to the evolution bug, see both solutions, and at least, give an opinion


People present (lines said)

  1. joanie (121)
  2. infapi00 (97)
  3. clown (65)
  4. mgorse (15)
  5. jjmarin (9)
  6. magpie (9)
  7. Services (6)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.