#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by API at 14:06:12 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress towards 3.16: recap (API, 14:07:18)
    1. Last week we started to plan this cycle (API, 14:07:26)
    2. we listed spread of new APIs, new features and other good-to-have features, and also assigning some action items (API, 14:08:00)
    3. but we also realize that we didn't have enough time (or preparation) for a specific topic (API, 14:08:45)

  2. Progress towards 3.16: new APIs (API, 14:08:56)
    1. Last week we talked about recent ATK APIs that needed to be implemented on toolkits, and we postponed to this week talk about new APIs, outcome of (for example) our collaboration with w3c (API, 14:09:46)
    2. I personally would like to work on the replacement of AtkUtil (API, 14:10:07)
    3. in short: current AtkUtil has several problems supporting more than one toolkit, and was poorly implemented (API, 14:10:29)
    4. that lead to maintained-by-glue solutions (API, 14:10:46)
    5. in fact, during the last cycle, we detected some bugs on gnome-shell that needed to be solved with workarounds (API, 14:11:17)
    6. ACTION: API will like to work on an AtkUtil replacement on this cycle, or at least have a first draft to be reviewed. As usual the idea is adding something new without breaking the old stuff, so implementations based on AtkUtil would need to still be working (API, 14:12:18)
    7. Joanie is still going through things (these are not one-week-only action items) (joanie, 14:12:46)
    8. Joanie does want to port a couple of things from IA2 to ATK and AT-SPI2, namely accessibleWithCaret() and groupPosition(). (joanie, 14:13:17)
    9. Joanie also wants to begin sorting out the situation with AtkAction (no names; make up what you want. Also AtkAction versus Interfaces. Also some other issues.) (joanie, 14:14:05)
    10. Joanie will keep on keeping on with this. (joanie, 14:14:16)

  3. Progress towards 3.16: 3.14 analysis on the mailing list (API, 14:18:23)
    1. Peter Vagner sent an analysis of some accessibility issues of 3.14 (API, 14:18:41)
    2. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-accessibility-list/2014-October/msg00001.html (API, 14:18:46)
    3. ACTION: Juanjo will triage keyboard navigation problems in new applications (jjmarin, 14:19:42)

  4. caribou & at-spi2-core issues after switching to D-Bus activation (API, 14:21:28)
  5. w3c updates (API, 14:48:38)
    1. getComputedRole() as a JavaScript function in the browser (clown, 14:48:59)
    2. useful for developers and testing tools to make sure the role that the author intended is actually what is exposed through the accessibility APIs. (clown, 14:49:16)
    3. This was discussed at Mon's call. (clown, 14:49:27)
    4. Generally browser vendors are not averse to adding the function. (clown, 14:49:38)
    5. But issues are: (clown, 14:49:52)
    6. 1. Part of the Element interface in the DOM? (clown, 14:50:04)
    7. 2. Or just function that takes an alement as a argument, and returns info from the a11y tree. (clown, 14:50:27)
    8. 3. Also, what are the performance hits to adding this function? (clown, 14:50:47)
    9. 4. And are there security issues? (clown, 14:51:00)
    10. Reference: https://www.w3.org/2014/10/20-aria-minutes.html#item03 (clown, 14:51:07)
    11. the plan is to discuss this sometime next week at the face to face meetings during TPAC. (clown, 14:51:28)

  6. Miscellaneous time (API, 15:05:18)


Meeting ended at 15:07:35 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. API will like to work on an AtkUtil replacement on this cycle, or at least have a first draft to be reviewed. As usual the idea is adding something new without breaking the old stuff, so implementations based on AtkUtil would need to still be working
  2. Juanjo will triage keyboard navigation problems in new applications


Action items, by person

  1. API
    1. API will like to work on an AtkUtil replacement on this cycle, or at least have a first draft to be reviewed. As usual the idea is adding something new without breaking the old stuff, so implementations based on AtkUtil would need to still be working


People present (lines said)

  1. API (107)
  2. clown (47)
  3. joanie (19)
  4. jjmarin (10)
  5. ueno (9)
  6. mgorse (4)
  7. Services (3)
  8. patryk (2)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.