#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by API at 14:05:32 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress towards 3.16 (API, 14:06:26)
    1. this is the first meeting where we discuss 3.16 cycle (API, 14:06:39)
    2. I will personally just point work of interest, in a brainstorming mode, eventually (soon) we would need to decide on the priorities (API, 14:07:17)
    3. Wayland (API, 14:07:21)
    4. wayland in general was discussed on the recent GNOME Boston summit (API, 14:07:42)
    5. http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/10/12/gnome-summit-update/ (API, 14:08:04)
    6. Matthias Clasen revamped the current wayland status: (API, 14:08:36)
    7. https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/Status3.14 (API, 14:08:39)
    8. that is just a list of bugs, some of them relevant (crashed included) (API, 14:09:00)
    9. IMHO, it would be good if we revisit our wayland-accessibility page, and see what of all them is still true (API, 14:09:29)
    10. AFAIR, that was done testing 3.9 (API, 14:09:42)
    11. Proposed AI: <someone> test current gnome+wayland, update https://wiki.gnome.org/Accessibility/Wayland if needed (API, 14:10:22)
    12. Tizen, a linux-wayland based (API, 14:11:37)
    13. ecosystem? (API, 14:11:43)
    14. also has some virtual keyboards (API, 14:11:51)
    15. ACTION: API will take a look to tizen repositories, to check if there is anything more updated to have a reference for GNOME (API, 14:12:25)
    16. ACTION: Joanie will begin reviewing the existing list of Wayland-related issues we identified that impact our assistive technologies. (joanie, 14:13:59)
    17. "feature proposals" period is being rethinked by the release team (API, 14:18:46)
    18. mostly due the lack of success of this way to propose new stuff to the platform (API, 14:19:02)
    19. partly due the vague definition of "feature" under this (API, 14:19:16)
    20. Allan Day has some ideas in relation of how to approach new cycles (API, 14:19:30)
    21. fwiw, Allan Day asked to join release team (API, 14:19:41)
    22. Subtopic: relatively new ATK APIs and their spread (API, 14:21:14)
    23. during previous releases new interfaces and methods new methods were added, other were deprecated (API, 14:21:40)
    24. but not all of them are already implemented on the toolkits (API, 14:21:52)
    25. examples: new, shiny and easier to understand AtkText methods are only (afaik) implemented on webkitgtk (API, 14:22:18)
    26. new AtkValue methods are not implemented at all (in fact, I think that are not even supported on at-spi2) (API, 14:22:39)
    27. new AtkTable+AtkTableCell are only implemented at webkitgtk (API, 14:24:16)
    28. ACTION: API: during this cycle will implement the new AtkValue methods on gnome-shell, replacing the old ones. Would also implement the at-spi2 stuff if they are still not implemented (API, 14:26:50)
    29. ACTION: <someone>: it would be good to create the bugs on the different toolkit bugzillas in order to track that there are new interfaces, new methods, deprecated methods (API, 14:27:53)
    30. ACTION: Joanie will create a new wiki page and begin filing bugs in the various issue trackers regarding who needs to implement/deprecate what wrt ATK API changes. (joanie, 14:28:56)
    31. Subtopic: new ATK interfaces (API, 14:41:35)
    32. joanie pointed to the need of new ATK interfaces, some of then detected as a need as a result of W3C collaboration (API, 14:42:12)
    33. on next week meeting, we will list the concepts to new APIs that we have around, and prioritize/assign-worker on them (API, 14:42:52)
    34. Subtopic: at-spi2-cache (API, 14:43:58)
    35. As discussed on the past, it would be good to evaluate the real beneficts of at-spi2 cache (API, 14:44:20)
    36. it is not clear the performance benefits it brings, and there are now and then cache coherence related bugs (API, 14:44:58)
    37. problem: right now at-spi2 doesn't work properly disabling all the cache, at least after some tests that Piñeiro made while working on the "gtktreeview children-changed flood" bugs (API, 14:45:42)
    38. ACTION: API will create a bug about at-spi2 not working if the cache is disabled (API, 14:46:16)
    39. Piñeiro thinks that that is needed in order to evaluate cache vs non-cache (API, 14:46:38)
    40. being conservative, I will not propose more work on this issue for now (API, 14:47:52)

  2. W3C updates (API, 14:51:01)
    1. there was no meeting on Mon, and the User Agent meeting was cancelled due to lack of quorum. No updates (clown, 14:51:43)

  3. miscellaneous time (API, 14:52:45)


Meeting ended at 15:01:39 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. API will take a look to tizen repositories, to check if there is anything more updated to have a reference for GNOME
  2. Joanie will begin reviewing the existing list of Wayland-related issues we identified that impact our assistive technologies.
  3. API: during this cycle will implement the new AtkValue methods on gnome-shell, replacing the old ones. Would also implement the at-spi2 stuff if they are still not implemented
  4. <someone>: it would be good to create the bugs on the different toolkit bugzillas in order to track that there are new interfaces, new methods, deprecated methods
  5. Joanie will create a new wiki page and begin filing bugs in the various issue trackers regarding who needs to implement/deprecate what wrt ATK API changes.
  6. API will create a bug about at-spi2 not working if the cache is disabled


Action items, by person

  1. API
    1. API will take a look to tizen repositories, to check if there is anything more updated to have a reference for GNOME
    2. API: during this cycle will implement the new AtkValue methods on gnome-shell, replacing the old ones. Would also implement the at-spi2 stuff if they are still not implemented
    3. Joanie will create a new wiki page and begin filing bugs in the various issue trackers regarding who needs to implement/deprecate what wrt ATK API changes.
    4. API will create a bug about at-spi2 not working if the cache is disabled
  2. UNASSIGNED
    1. Joanie will begin reviewing the existing list of Wayland-related issues we identified that impact our assistive technologies.
    2. <someone>: it would be good to create the bugs on the different toolkit bugzillas in order to track that there are new interfaces, new methods, deprecated methods


People present (lines said)

  1. API (129)
  2. joanie (76)
  3. clown (18)
  4. mgorse (12)
  5. Services (2)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.