#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by API at 14:06:20 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress towards 3.14 (API, 14:06:34)
    1. Reminder: next Mon 18 is the 3.13.90 release (API, 14:06:52)
    2. that would mean the start of the API/ABI freeze (API, 14:07:04)
    3. if someone has in mind something that needs new API (probably me), would need to be quick or start to think on asking exceptions or implementing workarounds (API, 14:07:59)

  2. GUADEC conclusions: release-team (API, 14:08:36)
    1. During GUADEC release-team has a small meeting plus a BOF (API, 14:09:27)
    2. as part of the conclusions, release-team will try to recruit fresh flood (API, 14:09:50)
    3. and as part of that, list their resposibilities (a list of tasks) (API, 14:10:18)
    4. I will write my part of "what I do on the release-team" on the wiki soon, but as you can imagine, it will be focused on being the a11y representative on the release-team (API, 14:10:58)

  3. Progress towards 3.14 (API, 14:12:21)
    1. Joanie is actively making significant changes to Orca, in particular its support for Gecko. (joanie, 14:12:44)
    2. Lots of bug fixes are being done. Also lots of changes to make Orca work more reliably, predictably, and consistently with NVDA (e.g. having a focus mode, a browse mode, a sticky focus mode, and configurable settings for automatic switching between them.) (joanie, 14:13:50)
    3. Joanie is also trying to implement support for clickables. Clickables being web elements with an onClick event handler. (joanie, 14:14:18)
    4. As part of this, Joanie believes she is exercising AtspiCollection code that may have never been exercised before. (joanie, 14:14:45)
    5. In particular, trying to create a MatchRule in which there are accessible interfaces. (joanie, 14:15:01)
    6. It appears that the dbus signature (or whatever) is a single string: "s" (joanie, 14:15:24)
    7. It appears also that an array of strings are what is really expected. ("as" ?) (joanie, 14:15:46)
    8. There are a couple of problems with this, assuming Joanie is correct. (joanie, 14:16:34)
    9. One is, of course, that the functionality doesn't work. (joanie, 14:16:45)
    10. The other, arguably the larger one, is that the associated failure seems to trigger a fatal exception which crashes the AT foolish enough to try to use it. <grins> (joanie, 14:17:16)
    11. Joanie would like some input and if time permits help from Mike on this -- soon as the 3.14 deadline is soon. (joanie, 14:17:41)
    12. In addition, there is an existing Mozilla/Thunderbird accessibility bug. (joanie, 14:17:59)
    13. The conclusion in the comments seems to be: Mozilla/Thunderbird is doing the correct thing. Atspi is updating the tree when it shouldn't be. Or doing something else similar. (joanie, 14:19:09)
    14. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=924915 (joanie, 14:19:26)
    15. This is less time critical as it has been around forever. (joanie, 14:19:42)
    16. But if this really is a "bug" triggered by a not-ideal side effect of something ATSPI2 does, it would be helpful to figure out an alternative. (joanie, 14:20:11)
    17. ACTION: Joanie will file a bug for Mike regarding the AtspiCollection issue. (joanie, 14:20:28)

  4. Marketing (API, 14:30:38)
    1. The debate about GNOME as default DE in Debian has been reactivated, with messages in debian-devel and debian-accessibility lists (sort of shared thread) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/08/msg00163.html . Maybe our fearless leader can considerate if it is a good idea to report about gnome a11y. (jjmarin, 14:30:59)
    2. AFAIK, Jessie will based in GNOME 3.12 https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.12-status.html (jjmarin, 14:31:31)
    3. If we plan to release a good enough a11y support for PDF documente in Evince, we can hightlight it in the GNOME 3.14 video https://wiki.gnome.org/BastianIls%C3%B8/ReleaseVideoG3.14 (jjmarin, 14:32:08)

  5. Miscellaneous time (API, 14:38:57)


Meeting ended at 14:40:58 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. Joanie will file a bug for Mike regarding the AtspiCollection issue.


People present (lines said)

  1. API (61)
  2. joanie (34)
  3. jjmarin (19)
  4. mgorse (8)
  5. Services (3)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.