#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by API at 14:07:05 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Issues related to 3.12 (API, 14:07:11)
    1. mgorse has reopened bug 684076, since old socket directories no longer get cleaned up (mgorse, 14:10:26)
    2. Bug 727258 - Accessible object:property-change:accessible-name event not emitted for power-off/suspend (joanie, 14:11:25)
    3. Bug 727272 - Accessible object:state-changed:focused events missing when arrowing in the icon view (joanie, 14:11:54)

  2. Plans for 3.14 - Wayland (API, 14:16:44)
    1. From 3.12 Wayland is still in beta (API, 14:18:03)
    2. Jasper wrote a summary of the new stuff for 3.12 and plans for the future on a blog post (API, 14:18:52)
    3. http://blog.mecheye.net/2014/03/wayland-in-3-12-and-beyond/ (API, 14:19:14)
    4. additionally, a thread started on wayland-dev, moved to desktop-devel (API, 14:19:31)
    5. it was related to security, specifically about still-not-supported features due security reasons (API, 14:19:57)
    6. API sent a email in order to include accessibility as another of those features (API, 14:20:17)
    7. in short, if all those features gets in wayland (with or without a custom security protocol), accessibility would need to follow them (API, 14:20:45)
    8. as it seems that just dbus would not be enough (afair, mgorse already concluded that) (API, 14:21:12)
    9. https://wiki.gnome.org/Accessibility/Wayland (joanie, 14:23:25)
    10. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=710012 (joanie, 14:26:04)
    11. https://wiki.maliit.org/Wayland_Input_Method_System_Proposal (API, 14:33:57)
    12. For plans for 3.14 (API, 14:38:08)
    13. API mentions that the more straightforward plan would be implement all the required functionality as a wayland extension (API, 14:38:32)
    14. previous work done on virtual keyboards could be a good reference (API, 14:38:48)
    15. https://wiki.maliit.org/Wayland_Input_Method_System_Proposal (API, 14:38:54)
    16. API hopes that as the security affects other basic functionality and common features, that would be solved (API, 14:39:44)
    17. main concern on the team would be who would work on implementing that extension (API, 14:40:04)
    18. joanie asked if this could be done as part of mgorse dayjob. mgorse will check it (API, 14:40:50)
    19. a11y team will oversee all this on the following weeks (API, 14:41:00)

  3. Plans for 3.14 - Feature proposals (API, 14:42:35)
    1. ATK made several deprecations for 3.10 and 3.12 (API, 14:42:51)
    2. in addition to the new APIs that replace them (API, 14:43:38)
    3. API main interest would be about start to port toolkits and apps to the new APIs (API, 14:43:43)
    4. that and Wayland would be a really big chunk of stuff to do (API, 14:44:01)
    5. another possible features would be homogenize keyboard focus management and pdf accessibility (API, 14:44:34)
    6. Matthias copied the magnifier tint enhancement over from 3.10 — https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointThirteen/Features/TintEnhancement (clown, 14:44:51)
    7. Focus TRuacking UI wasn't copied over. (clown, 14:45:13)

  4. Plans for 3.14 - other stuff (API, 14:49:13)
    1. sticky keys #669597 (API, 14:49:33)
    2. mouse pointers sizes #665907 (API, 14:49:40)
    3. Matthias sent an email to the gtk-devel-list about gestures: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2014-April/msg00000.html (joanie, 14:50:33)
    4. Joanie thinks (hopes) that the result of gestures will be accessible events just as if some other input mode were used. Thus that should (hopefully) not be a problem. (joanie, 14:51:09)
    5. Matthias did ask a question at the end, however: "Do we envision applications to have custom gestures ? Any plausible" (joanie, 14:51:39)
    6. Joanie thinks we might have a desire/example for custom gestures. (joanie, 14:52:22)
    7. iOS's VoiceOver has custom accessibility gestures (joanie, 14:52:43)
    8. Joanie worked on a DayJob project where there were screen-reader-specific gestures (joanie, 14:53:02)
    9. It might be cool for there to be Orca gestures for things like WhereAmI or FlatReview. (joanie, 14:53:26)
    10. So Joanie supposes she should answer that email. :) (joanie, 14:53:45)
    11. Joanie is not looking forward to entering into some debate with Gtk+ devs about whether or not this is needed, however. Hopefully this will not happen. (joanie, 14:54:19)
    12. But before Joanie does this, she would like to know if her idea is sane or silly. (joanie, 14:54:37)
    13. ACTION: Joanie will respond to Matthias's email with a brief description of her idea. (joanie, 15:02:53)

  5. W3C updates (API, 15:05:59)
    1. 1. The specification documents are being moved to github — https://github.com/w3c/aria (clown, 15:06:46)
    2. Joseph is in the process of preparing the UAIG for this move, and hopes to have that finished by next week. (clown, 15:07:06)
    3. 2. An issue discussed this week was how to make aria references to and from the Shadow DOM. (clown, 15:07:34)
    4. this is a nice intro to the shadow dom and a11y issues: http://substantial.com/blog/2014/02/05/accessibility-and-the-shadow-dom/ (clown, 15:07:55)
    5. 3. The specification of the proposed aria-roledesc attribute has had a lot of discussion this week. (clown, 15:08:35)
    6. the thread starts here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Mar/0130.html (clown, 15:08:55)
    7. Joanie is part of the "problem" regarding aria-roledesc ;) (joanie, 15:09:21)
    8. Joanie thinks it is a step backward, rather than forward, for our platform (joanie, 15:09:48)
    9. Notes that at this point, aria-roledesc is confined to the group and region roles only. (clown, 15:10:40)
    10. : Juanjo's updated the wikipedia entry for ATK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility_Toolkit (jjmarin, 15:17:18)
    11. Juanjo will do the same with AT-SPI in the following days. The draft still in http://piratepad.net/5dT0fHzENH (jjmarin, 15:17:25)
    12. Juanjo has added a Code section in the a11y team wiki page https://wiki.gnome.org/Accessibility/. So far only ATK and AT-SPI (DBus based) (jjmarin, 15:17:38)


Meeting ended at 15:23:59 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. Joanie will respond to Matthias's email with a brief description of her idea.


People present (lines said)

  1. joanie (182)
  2. API (137)
  3. clown (46)
  4. jjmarin (29)
  5. mgorse (10)
  6. Services (9)
  7. jhernandez (1)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.