#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by API at 15:05:43 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress towards 3.12 (API, 15:05:54)
    1. API asked for a string freeze break request. It seems that will be granted (API, 15:06:17)
    2. fwiw, next release of ATK will include the revamped atkvalue (API, 15:06:31)
    3. next cycle could be started by bringing it to at-spi2 and to start to be implemented by ATK implementors (API, 15:06:54)
    4. additionally API is working on some evince bugs, hopefully they will be included on 3.12 release (API, 15:07:15)
    5. mgorse got some accessibility refactoring committed to evolution, so that the custom classes actually work again (mgorse, 15:08:10)
    6. A couple of bugs that Joanie reported have also been fixed recently, so hopefully evolution accessibility will be improved some in 3.12, but it needs some testing (mgorse, 15:08:36)
    7. Joanie is keeping Orca stable for now. She, like Piñeiro, is working on some Evince accessibility issues. (joanie, 15:09:33)
    8. Based on the work being done in Evolution accessibility, she will do the testing Mike mentioned and update Orca accordingly. (joanie, 15:09:57)
    9. jhernandez has fixed the Accerciser's more critical stuff. Fixed bugs, update it to use new APIs, updated some plugins, etc. The only remaining thing is wayland, which support is supposed to be added during 3.13 cycle (jhernandez, 15:18:41)

  2. W3C updates (API, 15:20:21)
    1. Main topic of dsicussion this week was the addition of a role description attribute (clown, 15:21:00)
    2. It is a human readable string giving a description of the role. (clown, 15:21:10)
    3. It's useful where neither ARIA nor the a11y API has a role for the situation. (clown, 15:21:21)
    4. An example is the html5 <video> element. Currently that is mapped to "group" in a11y APIs (clown, 15:21:32)
    5. If the author added a role description such as "video", that would be closer to what the element really is, and … (clown, 15:21:54)
    6. an AT could provide that additional information. (clown, 15:22:04)
    7. AXAPI has an AXRoleDesription property, already. (clown, 15:22:15)
    8. no decision has been made; it's still under discussion. (clown, 15:22:27)
    9. ACTION: API will wrote a email "Extending roles: why failed on ATK, and why we deprecated them" (API, 15:32:54)
    10. ACTION: Joseph will take API's email and submit to the ARIA working group on behalf of the gnome a11y group (clown, 15:35:31)

  3. Marketing (API, 15:36:36)
    1. we have the drafts for updating the ATK and AT-SPI2 entries for wikipedia in piratepad http://piratepad.net/V33eU1E2ZN and http://piratepad.net/5dT0fHzENH . Suggestions, corrections and references to contrast the information are more than welcome (jjmarin, 15:36:53)
    2. I added the numbers of bugs related to the entries for the release notes https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointEleven/ReleaseNotes#What.27s_new_in_accessibility . (jjmarin, 15:37:50)
    3. So far, it seems we are going to be shy in the release notes for 3.12. Orca refactoring and improved PDF support could be cool additions. :-) (jjmarin, 15:38:06)
    4. ACTION: API will review those ATK/AT-SPI entries, but will take some time due 3.12 approaching (API, 15:38:48)
    5. probably we are going to push some of the release notes just before of the dealine, due some bugs still wip (API, 15:39:13)
    6. ACTION: Joseph will try to review jjmarin's ATK and AT-SPI documents and add suggestions. But at his leisure. (clown, 15:43:09)

  4. "Miscellaneous Time" (API, 15:45:27)
    1. Joanie (who is using Fedora Rawhide, in all its completely-unstable glory) has discovered that the Accerciser iPython console is no longer working. (joanie, 15:50:49)
    2. Joanie or Javi will look into it as time permits (joanie, 15:51:03)


Meeting ended at 15:54:03 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. API will wrote a email "Extending roles: why failed on ATK, and why we deprecated them"
  2. Joseph will take API's email and submit to the ARIA working group on behalf of the gnome a11y group
  3. API will review those ATK/AT-SPI entries, but will take some time due 3.12 approaching
  4. Joseph will try to review jjmarin's ATK and AT-SPI documents and add suggestions. But at his leisure.


Action items, by person

  1. API
    1. API will wrote a email "Extending roles: why failed on ATK, and why we deprecated them"
    2. Joseph will take API's email and submit to the ARIA working group on behalf of the gnome a11y group
    3. API will review those ATK/AT-SPI entries, but will take some time due 3.12 approaching
  2. jjmarin
    1. Joseph will try to review jjmarin's ATK and AT-SPI documents and add suggestions. But at his leisure.


People present (lines said)

  1. API (71)
  2. joanie (69)
  3. clown (42)
  4. jhernandez (35)
  5. jjmarin (19)
  6. mgorse (9)
  7. Services (2)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.