#a11y-meeting Meeting

Meeting started by API at 15:06:25 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

  1. Progress towards 3.12 (API, 15:06:38)
    1. After some in-bugzilla and IRC feedback (API, 15:07:03)
    2. finally API closed bug 684576 (API, 15:07:13)
    3. in summary, that means several changes on AtkValue, that would be released for 3.12, and would have time for implementors to update their implementors during next cycle (API, 15:07:53)
    4. unfourtunately, API finished last review on Wed, too late for 2.11.91 release (API, 15:08:19)
    5. so it was postponed till 2.11.92. As this includes new string API sent a emil to ask a string freeze break request (API, 15:08:51)
    6. joanie+API were working on some accessibility bugs for evince, hopefully they will be included on 3.12 (API, 15:11:41)

  2. W3C updates (API, 15:14:54)
    1. Decision to add table role in ARIA 1.1 (API, 15:15:35)
    2. There already is a grid role, but that is an *interactive* widget with a row/column organization. (API, 15:15:35)
    3. A table is *non-interactive* document content, sometimes referred to as a "data table". (API, 15:15:35)
    4. Next steps are to determine what sub-roles a table has that are not already in the ARIA 1.0 spec, e.g., headers, rows, columns, cells, caption. (API, 15:15:35)
    5. An issue with respect to a11y APIs, is that grid is exposed as ROLE_TABLE in ARIA 1.0. What would table be exposed as? (API, 15:15:35)
    6. One suggestion: ROLE_TABLE + xml-roles:table vs. ROLE_TABLE + xml-roles:grid, where xml-roles is an object attribute (already in use -- xml-roles is not new). (API, 15:15:38)
    7. But, David also suggests engaging wider community for their thoughts -- AT vendors and a11y API developers. (API, 15:15:42)
    8. Suggested new wording: ""Element SHOULD NOT be exposed in a11y tree unless focussed. If the object is in the accessibility tree, map all attributes as normal. In addition, expose object attribute hidden:true" (API, 15:16:49)
    9. Worry that the focus exception is not enough -- what if the object is selected? Or if the object emits a live region event, or other a11y event? (API, 15:16:50)
    10. Mozilla okay with the "SHOULD NOT", but "... with a grunt" (API, 15:16:50)
    11. previous elements were in relation to "ATK/AT-SPI mapping for aria-hidden="false"" (API, 15:17:43)

  3. Marketing (API, 15:21:15)
    1. Juanjo has added Alejandro's comments in the ATK text for the wikipedia and ask for another review when you have a slot of free time (jjmarin, 15:21:58)
    2. We need to add more info about the new features for GNOME 3.12 in the wiki https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointEleven/ReleaseNotes#What.27s_new_in_accessibility , like the PDF support ;-) (jjmarin, 15:26:29)
    3. ACTION: Juanjo will move the wikipedian entries to a collaborative tool and send to the a11y team members (jjmarin, 15:27:48)

  4. Miscellaneous time (API, 15:35:03)
    1. Magnifier updates (API, 15:35:38)
    2. Replied to Magdalen's question about polling to acquire the mouse pointer position (bugzilla 618397) [1]. (API, 15:35:49)
    3. Received two screen shots of ZoomText focus/caret tracking preferences from Bas Cancrinus, and put them on gnome wiki. Asked Bas to describe them in an email to a11y list. (API, 15:35:50)
    4. The screen shots are here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/Magnification/ZoomOptionsDialog/ZoomTextTrackingPrefs (API, 15:35:50)
    5. Bas also recently requested a new feature to move the magnified screen area with a keyboard shortcut (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=725129) (API, 15:35:52)


Meeting ended at 15:43:10 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. Juanjo will move the wikipedian entries to a collaborative tool and send to the a11y team members


People present (lines said)

  1. API (86)
  2. jjmarin (27)
  3. Services (5)
  4. tota11y (5)
  5. mgorse (1)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.